Thursday, November 6, 2008

the first repetitious redundancy, pt 1

So, I had a few minutes, I thought I might get started by explaining my position.

There are a few people who(m) will know redundancy as "superfluous repetition", see definition ,which in itself is perhaps the definition of 'ironic' as well...hmm...I mean, I guess there is such a thing as 'an appropriate amount of repetition'? Right?

I will open this by example of what might fall under the purview of my...we'll say...my point...as I develop this idea it might turn out I just believe in streamlining our stupid language.

"when I was younger I [insert past tense verb]..."

but NOT
"on last tuesday I [insert past tense verb]..."

To the point of streamlining, I am always reminded of my days in Korea...Let's say that me and my friends decide to go out for some wings. So, the wings are presented to us and the first fool jumps in (figuratively, hopefully)(maybe we are on our first beer yet) and says, "wow! That's HOT"!!!!!
I will let you all (at time of writing, me) imagine how the conversation goes...anyone? What's the next question? It's usually a two part question, isn't it? 'HOT HOT'? or 'Spicy HOT'?
Not the least bit efficient, eh?
The Koreans have a word, Mae Woe (imagine long A and Long O with silent e...isn't English cool!) which is used to describe something which, when you eat it makes your tongue scream for some relief because the object is hot like pepper. Not hot like licking a grill. Which is to say, spicy hot.

I will be doing my best to bump this, if these blog things work in a similar fashion to forums. Else, there will be spamalot of new posts referencing this very topic. /sigh

3 comments:

Craig F said...

From the Department of Redundancy Department, eh?

necrodancer said...

Posts to blogs do not work like a post to a forum. So, each time you wish to post about redundancy, you'll make a new post rather than a comment to a previous post.

By the way, I have enjoyed your sense of humor. So, keep it up. I always need something to read while I should be working.

Craig F said...

Yeah, Mike, Chris and I have been friends since we were 13...we're generally pretty warped along the exact same lines!